Competition in Nine Categories
Azure Magazine has announced dates for its 2020 AZ Awards for Design Excellence. Now in its 10th year, the competition recognizes excellence in design and architecture around the world.
Award categories are as follows:
• Public and private landscapes
• Furniture: Residential furniture, office and contract furniture, outdoor furniture
Furniture systems & collections: Office systems, kitchen and bath furniture systems, storage systems, office and residential furniture collections
• Lighting Fixtures: Indoor and outdoor fixtures and systems
Lighting installations: Permanent schemes and temporary installations
• Interior products: Wall and floor coverings (wallpaper, rugs, etc.), housewares, textiles, window coverings, appliances
Architectural products: Sanitary fixtures and fittings (sinks, tubs, faucets, etc.), hardware, doors and windows, flooring (tiles, wood flooring, broadloom, etc.)
• Residential buildings: Single-family, new builds, renovations and additions
Residential buildings: Multi-unit, new builds, renovations and additions
• Commercial & institutional buildings over 1,000 square meters
• Commercial & institutional buildings under 1,000 square meters
• Temporary and experiential installations: installations, exhibit designs, presentation centers/model suites, theatre sets and displays
• Adaptive re-use: Projects that reimagine existing buildings or sites in innovative and sustainable ways
Infrastructure: bridges, transportation structures, etc.
Experimental Graphic Design
• Way-finding, sign programs, information and map design, experiential brand identity.
• Residential interiors
• Commercial and institutional interiors
• Unbuilt building entries: Projects previously entered for competition, and other as yet unbuilt buildings
• Ideas /prototypes: Conceptual works, design schemes and objects not yet realized or not in production
Student work: Any industrial design product, architectural structure, landscape, interior space or unbuilt/unrealized concept developed by a student enrolled in a post-secondary design or architecture program in 2019. The winner will receive a $5000 cash prize.
Social Good Award and Environmental Leadership Award
Besides the category in which they are submitted, entries may also be considered for the Social Good Award and/or the Environmental Leadership Award. A winner in each of these categories will be selected.
For the Social Good Award, projects must advance social equity and have a positive impact on the collective realm. For the Environmental Leadership Award, projects must show sensitivity and respect for the use and management of natural resources throughout their lifecycle, especially with respect to materials and energy use. Projects may be entered in one or both categories.
All finalists are considered for the People's Choice selection, decided by the general public. Voting will take place from April 2 to May 1, 2020 on awards.azuremagazine.com.
The 2020 AZ Awards is open to:
• Designers and design firms from all disciplines
• Architects, landscape architects and architectural firms
• Post-secondary students enrolled in design and architecture programs in 2019
• Clients and manufacturers
• Projects must be completed by December 31, 2019
• Products must be prototyped or in production
• Concepts must have been developed or presented for the first time in 2019
• Earlybird deadline Friday, January 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST
• Deadline for submissions Tuesday, February 18, 2020
• Finalists will be notified in April 2020
• People's Choice voting takes place from April 2 to May 1, 2020
• AZ Awards Gala: June 2020
• Winners will be announced at the AZ Awards Gala, to be held in Toronto in June 2020, and featured in AZURE Magazine's annual AZ Awards issue
For more on submission details and guidelines: https://tinyurl.com/ygplllfm.